Tucked away in the gloom of the Victor McCormick Train Pavilion is Chesapeake & Ohio K-4 class #2736, a Berkshire (2-8-4) type locomotive, although this wheel arrangement was known as a "Kanawha" on the C&O after the river that cut through the railroad's heartland in West Virginia. There are photos of an excursion with #2719 on North Shore Scenic Railroad page of this website. Production of this car will be limited only to those who purchase this car in advance. The first drumheads were large and round, much like a bass drum – hence their name. Note the absence of a front light, which would have been required for night work. Stoker Booster Valve The only other surviving H-23, SOO #2719, is based at the Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth, WI. Grate Shaker Access Hatch 12. Mid-Continent Railway Museum P.O. Sold to the Marinette, Tomahawk & Western in 1957, it continued in service on that railroad until 1973, when it was donated to the museum. 20. Ash Pan Sprinkler Main Valve The train ran between Chicago, Illinois, and Seattle and Portland, Oregon. On this display, the plow's wings are latched back to the side. The GG-1, America’s most famous electric locomotive, was first built in 1932. The major difference was that the BL1 had an air-actuated throttle and could not multiple-unit, while the BL2, had a standard electrically-actuated throttle. The E&LS still rosters plows like this, although they are painted in the railroad's current orange, black and gold livery. The streamlining is usually attributed to Raymond Loewy, but a recent Classic Trains Magazine article by Hampton C. Wayt ('Donald Dohner: The Man Who Designed "Rivets"', Summer 2009, pp.30-35) has argued otherwise. Above, the four stars and name "Pershing" are stamped into the plate just above #101's headlamp. 47. Along with seventeen other SOO GP30s, it later joined the Wisconsin Central roster. Mission Team Visit Participate Learn Donate Now Making history since 1962. Its 2,400 hp 567D3 16 cylinder prime mover powered a GM D22 generator to drive six GM D47 traction motors. Originally numbered #510, this unit was renumbered #6250 when the CB&Q merged into Burlington Northern in 1970. Instead, it went to Fort Monroe, VA, as #765. The upper part of this photo shows the Alco power reverse lever. #315 was the last of the C-430 production run. Sun: 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. (4-6-2) locomotives built in 1923 by Alco for the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. It is the story of a group of men who worked America’s rail lines for nearly 100 years. The first drumhead was displayed on the Northern Pacific’s North Coast Limited in the early 1900s. USA #8651 is one of an order of thirty RSD-1 switchers delivered to the US Army by Alco in 1945. Brake Stand They were known as "Pershings", after four-star General John Pershing, Commander of the US Expeditionary Forces in Europe. EMC built one hundred and seventy-five Winton engined diesel-electrics from 1935 to 1939. Frederick Bauer presented the collection to the National Railroad Museum®in 1999 to be preserved and displayed for future generations. Originally 25 of these giants were constructed from 1941-1944. The museum receives over seventy-five thousand visitors annually from all over the world. The focus of our collection is electric equipment, including streetcars, interurban cars, and the specialized work and maintenance cars used to support and maintain electric railways. Right, #24 is on the left, SOO #2718 is in the centre and ATSF #5017 is on the right. Join us on August 13 – 15, 2021, for PAW Patrol Paw-Palooza at the National Railroad Museum®! The museum was conceived by D. C. Everest, president and chairman of Marathon Corporation, a Wisconsin paper manufacturer. Below, another view of the visitor center. Something of a hybrid, the BL2 was used to haul freight and, occasionally, passenger trains as well as performing switching duties. The Pennsy was not convinced and returned the train to GM after a year of use. Firebox Door Air Supply. Best of all, the depot will communicate its message in a fun, hands-on environment that will engage young imaginations and take them on a family-friendly, educational journey. Whistle Lever 28. Wisconsin Central Railway Wrecking Crane The C-430 is part of Alco's "Century" series, which included six and eight axle units. Designed by L&NER's Nigel Gresley for fast passenger service between London, Scotland and the North of England, the A4 class has three 18½" x 26" cylinders and 80" drivers. It is closed Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Year's Day. Above, a view looking out the cab window on the fireman's side. One such effort was General Motors' "Aerotrain", unveiled in 1955. The National Railroad Museum® has completed restoration work on the London and Northeastern Railroad cars #1591 and #1592. There are other four axle Century series units on this website: MCRR C-415 #701 is on the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania Yard page and both DL C-420 #414 and DL The GG1 was a Pennsylvania Railroad design intended to haul a consist of 12-14 passenger cars on the electrified sections of the system between New York, NY, Washington, DC, and Harrisburg, PA. In 1941, it moved to Fort Benning, GA, and then, in 1943, to Cape Blanding, FL. #506 is the first of ten E1 Class Santa Fe type (2-10-2) locomotives allocated to the Duluth Missabe & Northern by the USRA in 1919 (#506-#515). The Munising, Marquette & South Eastern Railroad merged with the Lake Superior & Ishpeming Railroad in 1923. The plow would have been pushed by a locomotive to The S-2 had an Alco 4-cycle Model 539 6L prime mover, GE GT553 generator and four GE 731 traction motors. This somewhat compromised the locomotive's original clean lines. The SD24 was not particularly successful. The coaling tower was a busy place during the steam era. Among railroad memorabilia, drumheads are very rare items. Displayed near #4017 is a cut away of a Timken roller bearing case for a freight car. With coaches fashioned from bus bodies and appliances by Frigidare, the Aerotrain was designed to travel at over 100 mph. 8. In 1987, the GB&W donated it to the museum. While some consider them rather ugly, I find their snub nose, chunky profile and swept sides quite attractive. Emergency Steam Valve 44. You can see other Shays on the Cass Scenic Rail Road page of this website, the Travel Town, Northwestern Railroad Museum, North Carolina Museum of Transportation and B&O Museum Roundhouse pages. Above, #4017's backhead. The museum is located in downtown Duluth, in the platforms at yard of the original Historic Union Depot, built in 1892. #12 is a 36" gauge coal burner. #315 is the only Alco I believe they are circa 1930's - 1940's rosters. 27" x 32". Union Pacific soon added steel coal boards around the top of the coal bunker to prevent spillage and increase capacity. K-4s operated over most of the C&O system, but had a short life. Headlight Control This 0-4-0T (Tank) locomotive was built The RSD-1 is 54' 11" long and weighs 204,000 lbs. Train Air Brake Control This was originally positioned ahead of the cooler on the pilot. They roamed the rails until 1959. Engineer's Train Control Lights car. The S-2 is almost identical to Alco's S-4, except it has Alcos Blunt trucks while the S-4 has AAR type A switcher trucks. In the view above, you can see the rods that connect the grates to shakers in the cab. The #102 was donated to the museum in 1964. Mounted on the engineer's side, its three vertical 10" x 10" cylinders power a drive shaft geared to each of the locomotive's 29" drivers. It is 79' 6" long, weighs 468,4000 lbs and its Box 358 E8948 Museum Road North Freedom, WI 53951 Office phone: 608-522-4261 or 800-930-1385 E-mail: inquiries@midcontinent.org The National Railroad Museum (reporting mark NRMX) is a railroad museum located in Ashwaubenon, Wisconsin, in suburban Green Bay. view of the museum grounds are Fairport, Painesville & Eastern Railroad Alco S-2 #103, now liveried as Fort Howard Paper #403, and US Army Alco RSD-1 #8651. With two pistons in each cylinder, it generated nearly twice as much power from the same number of cylinders as other engines. The red wheel in this photo opened the hoppers to dump the contents of the ash pan. Live Steam Injector Lever The trainset is essentially a combination of GM bus bodies re-styled and adapted to run on rails and hauled by a diesel engine. It has had its streamlined body featured on a U.S. postage stamp, as a Lionel toy train, and in dozens of paintings over the years. 38. The low building on the right is the visitor center, main ticket office and library. As you can see from the two views above, #4890 was one of about thirty-five GG1s that had large air intakes fitted to the sides of their hoods. The stoker firing plate is at the bottom of this photo. Its 1,500 hp EMD 567B prime mover drove a GM D12 generator to power four GM D27B traction motors, one on each axle. Stoker Auger Access Hatch We are a not-for-profit educational and historical organization whose mission is to tell the story of the region’s rich railroad heritage through our educational exhibits and operation of scenic and historical train rides on the Naugatuck Railroad. It had a top speed of 65 mph and delivered 40,000 lbs continuous tractive effort at 9.3 mph. The remaining one hundred units were built between 1943 and 1946 (#8600-#8699) and classed E1646. They had a top speed of 90 mph but could reach considerably higher speeds. The C-430 is 63' 1" long and weighs 272,000 lbs. Two Baldwin steam locomotives, one of which was #102, operated on the line. An opening was left for the Buckeye Steel cast coupler. Front Cylinder Cocks Valve There, it was renumbered #101 and was damaged by arms fire but was rebuilt in 1953 and put back into service. It's not clear why the cladding was removed. Stoker Steam Jets Gauge GG1s were mainly used to haul passenger trains but some were regeared for freight service. The first twenty-one production The exhibit features a restored 1920s 10-1-2 Pullman sleeper car: the Lake Mitchell. Sun: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Click here to Museum Open to the Public | Masks Required, Click here to Learn more about train rides, Click here to Learn more about theater presentations, Click here to Learn more about group tours, Click here to Learn more about safety and health: covid-19, Click here to Learn more about pet policy, Click here to Learn more about celebrations, Click here to Learn more about corporate events, Click here to Learn more about memberships, Click here to Learn more about organization memberships, Click here to Learn more about memorial giving, Click here to Learn more about community partners program, Click here to Learn more about education programs, Click here to Learn more about educational resources, Click here to Learn more about outreach programs, Click here to Learn more about activity zone, Click here to email info@nationalrrmuseum.org, Click here to view location 2285 South Broadway Digimarc and the Digimarc logo are registered trademarks of Digimarc Corporation. April – December Explore the impressive collection of historic railroad equipment that built Minnesota and our country. However, with its rough ride and poorly designed locomotive, the prototypes were disliked by passengers and railroads alike. In 1988, the museum sent the locomotive to the Green Bay & Western Norwood roundhouse, where it spent nearly eighteen months being rebuilt with a diesel engine from an old center cab switcher fitted to the tender so that it can haul trains, although not in steam. Devoted to preserving the railroad history of Eastern Washington and the Inland Northwest, the Inland Empire Railway Historical Society, a non-profit corporation and regional chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, operates the Inland Northwest Rail Museum in Reardan, Wash. #5017 worked on the AT&SF Pecos Division between Clovis and Belen, NM, but travelled as far afield as Texas, Oklahoma and Colorado. Welcome to the Railroad Museum of New England. The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania remains closed to the public. With 25" x 26" cylinders, it operated at a boiler pressure of 200 psi, delivering tractive effort of 36,833 lbs. This centre cab switcher was built by General Electric for the St. Paul Union Depot in 1941. As part of an upgrade to the DM&N Santa Fes in the late 1920s, additional sand boxes were fitted on the pilot. 4. The Western Railway Museum has a wide variety of railroad cars and rolling stock. Above, a view of the main entrance and visitor center. You can view the inside of the cab from a raised viewing platform just visible on the right below. #12 was sold to the Ely Thomas Lumber Company in Fenwick, WV, in 1947 and renumbered #5. Two years after retiring A conveyor system then loaded the waste into hopper cars. From immaculately restored … Originally, sliding doors were fitted the entire length of the tender floor, except for a small opening at the front. History: Southern Electric Railway #945 1896-1898 / United Railways #945 1898-1913 / United Railways #894 1913-1927 / St. Louis Public Service #894 1927-1939 / St. Louis Public Service #855 1939-1947 /National Museum of Transportation (Kirkwood, Missouri) 1947-present. You can see other "40 et 8" cars on the Ogden Union Station page of this website, McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park, Kentucky Railroad Museum, B&O Railroad Museum Roundhouse and Nevada State Railroad Museum pages. engine wheelbase of 40' 6" and driver wheelbase of 21', they weigh 352,000 The ashes and cinders fell into pits located between the rails. The 14-wheel tender was one of the largest built with a capacity for 32 tons of coal and 24,000 gallons of water. The S-4 also has a GT 563 generator and GE 731D traction General Motors, using existing technology from its many divisions, developed the Aerotrain. It is equipped with an Alco built 4 cycle Model 251E V16 prime mover powering a GE GTA9 generator to drive four GE 752 traction motors, one on each axle. The E&LS was founded in 1898 and was bought by Hanna Mining in the early 1960s. Eventually, the C&O rostered a total of ninety of these locomotives. The photo was taken looking north-east from the eighty foot high wooden observation tower at the south-east of the museum grounds beside the Fox River. In 1956 the National Railroad Museum of Green Bay, Wisconsin was born; in 1958, it was recognized as such by the United States Congress. You can see other Big Boys on this website: #4004 is on the Cheyenne Big Boy page, #4005 on the Forney Museum of Transportation, #4006 on the National Museum of Transportation, St. Louis Yard, #4012 on the Steamtown, #4014 on Southern California RLHS page, #4018 on the Museum of the American Railroad and #4023 on the Kenefick Park pages. A partnership between the Children’s Museum of Green Bay and the National Railroad Museum… Steam Supply to Firebox Jets Twenty-seven NW1s were built from 1937 to 1939 with a Winton 201-A 12 cylinder prime mover powering a Westinghouse 480 four generator to drive GE 287D traction motors. 31. 37. Hallet Dock Co. FM H-10-44 #HD-11 is on the Lake Superior Railroad Museum page. 42. The N.C. Transportation Museum is a historic site, once home to Southern Railway’s largest steam locomotive repair facility in the southeast, and a museum featuring all types of transportation history – railroading, automotive, aviation, and more. Right Front Ash Pan Sprinkler Valve The Museum was founded in 1987 and is an ever-growing preservation site of both local and national railroad heritage pertaining to the New York Central System. Most recently, the locomotive made international news when the National Railroad Museum loaned the piece to the National Railway Museum of York, England for “The Great Gathering” of 2013. In this service, the Aerotrain was allowed to travel at only 60 mph. An anonymous donor apparently offered the Green Bay museum $1 million to allow the engine to stay in the UK but, in 2014, it returned to the US. Southern valve gear. This is one of sixteen EMD SD24 units delivered to the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy in 1959 (#500-#515). The non-profit Orange Empire Railway Museum has been preserving Southern California’s railway history since 1956. The BL2 is 54' long and weighs 230,000 lbs. They were amongst the largest ever built and were carried on a fourteen wheel (4 + 10) centipede pedestal truck initially designed for use with UP's FEF 4-8-4 locomotives. 57" on the E1 versus 60" on the E. The cylinders are The N series had 900 hp engines. In gratitude, a group of French citizens organised a private effort to thank the people of the US for their assistance. Restoring Sioux City’s Landmark Steam Locomotive No. Mon – Sat: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. TrainTopia Projects Videos News! They were looking for a vehicle that was fast, economical to build and operate, and fashionable in appearance. It weighs 128,000 lbs, 98,000 lbs on its 44" drivers. Green Bay, WI 54304, USA. Power was fed to the unit from The SD24s could be ordered with a low or high short hood, and the CB&Q units were fitted with high short hoods. They were mainly bought by US and Canadian railroads, but some went to South America, Saudi Arabia, India and even Australia. It removed snow, spread gravel and trimmed embankments of brush along the sides of track. Below, #5017 lines up with Soo Line #2718 (centre) and Lake Superior & Ishpeming #24 (left) in the museum's Victor McCormack Train Pavilion. The front right hand Nathan lubricator is on the left of this photo. the upper right of this photo. All but two of this class (#512 & #514) eventually had Nicholson thermic syphons. The kiosk offers curriculum-relevant materials such as oral histories and period music that illustrate the cultural, political, and racial climate at the time. Throttle 19. The museum has three main buildings. With an Alco 1,000 hp V12 4-cycle Model 539T-6L prime mover powering a GE GT553C generator to drive four GE 731 traction motors, two of the American Railroad page, PRR #4919 on the Virginia Museum of Transportation page and PRR #4935 on the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania Train Shed page. Above, a side shot that includes part of the two car trainset. Parking and admission are free, but donations are gratefully welcomed. The last six units were built 1946 for the Ferrocarriles Nacionales de México and were classed E1641. This database will allow you to browse through the collection in groups, or you can search for a specific piece of equipment. In 1911, the Marquette & Southeastern merged with the Munising Railway, a short line between Munising and Princeton, MI. Lake Superior shore line from Duluth to Two Harbors. Unless otherwise stated, all images, layouts and photographs on this website are copyright the author. With an ... Steamtown National Historic Site’s Union Pacific “Big Boy” No. Georgia Pacific Paper Company, it was renumbered from #103 to #63-180 and appears to go through various changes at the museum: it sported the Howard Paper Company livery when I last visited. Engineer's Boiler Sight Glass #29 has not been relettered and is displayed with restored Anhapee & Western Railroad bay window caboose #33. Above, a model of  SOO Pacific type (4-6-2) H-23 #2718 on display in front of the visitors centre. Above, parked in the middle foreground in the Giving Museum patrons a glimpse of what passengers experienced, it also examines how the railroads fought to maintain service during a period of time when the public increasingly began to prefer automobiles and airplanes to traditional train travel. Yard page of this website, PRR #4903 on the Museum #D-538 was bought by the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway in 1938. It ran demonstrations on fifteen US railroads and was eventually bought by the Northern Pacific in 1933. Fireman's Train Control Lights After testing on three railroads: the Pennsylvania, New York Central, and Union Pacific, the two trains were sold to the Rock Island, who used them in commuter service around Chicago. The original tenders weighed 342,2000 lbs and had a capacity of 28 tons of coal and 25,000 gallons of water. It ran up a total of 750,000 miles in its fifteen year life. For information about the museum or if you have railroad items that you would like considered for display in the museum, please call the WVRHS&M office at 423-753-5797. A development of the earlier 800 hp S-5, it has a 900 hp Alco 251A four stroke prime mover, which powers a GE GT553 generator to drive four GE GT533 traction motors, one on each axle.
2020 national railroad museum roster